2020 has been a challenging year for many small business owners, as well as employees who might have lost their jobs. With the difficulties of running a bricks and mortar business with face-to-face interactions with customers, many people who are unemployed or had to shut down a business might consider starting an online business. It is important to have the guidance of an experienced business lawyer in Beverly Hills during this process.
Having a strong idea for an online company is only the very beginning. The following are only some steps to consider when you are opening a business online.
- Select the right business structure based on ownership, taxes, and more
- Determine whether you want to file your business paperwork in California or another state
- Select a business name, which can be more difficult than you might think
- Get a domain name that matches your company name (the availability of a domain name is important to consider prior to deciding on a final company name)
- Draft and file all documents you need to file for business formation
- Draft and negotiate contracts between owners and organizational rules
- Get a tax ID number from the IRS and set up business bank accounts
- Obtain any necessary licenses for your business
- Understand how sales tax works if you are selling products online
- Set up a website that will attract customers and that allows for a positive user experience
Starting a business is a process whether the company operates online or not. Any errors can be costly and might jeopardize your success.
Contact a Business Lawyer in Beverly Hills for Assistance
If you are using 2020 as an opportunity to start an online company, a Beverly Hills business attorney at the Law Offices of Jon H. Freis is ready to help. Call 310.276.1218 or contact us online for more information.